Friday, February 27, 2009

Women Drinking Beer

Old traditions seem to die hard in the UK. Back in the '70's a female friend of mine was at university in London. She was American. As they often do, she and some of her friends went to the pub for a pint. They sat at a table but she went to the bar to order a round. Upon taking the order the bartender, a man, walked away without saying anything. After a short while she came to realize that she was not being served. She asked him why and was sternly told that ladies do not drink pints. Another female friend was in London a few years back and did not experience this. But she was treated this way in Ireland. Most places would not serve a single woman at the bar and when she ordered a pint at a table (with a meal) she was still given looks. I have to ask if this still occurs today? I mean, I do see women crossing the street on their own.

1 comment:

  1. I'm not sure if this still occurs. I've been in London a lot, and in pubs quite some time. However I have never had any problems, perhaps because 90 % of my friends are men or perhaps because I rather prefer to drink wine.

    ReplyDelete