Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Spaniards Inn Hampstead

I am off to London this March (7 thru 22) and I have many plans. I have been to London many times in the past but each trip brings new excitement. I was unable to visit in 2009 and my last trip was in April of 2008. At time I first visited the Spaniard’s Inn in Hampstead. Located on Spaniards Road where Hampstead Lane meets at the tollgate, the road narrows to form a venture tube. Most interesting to watch the cars come to a near halt to get thru.

The first thing I noticed upon entering where the many people enjoying the cool but sunny Saturday afternoon. The Inn is surrounded on all sides by Hampstead Heath, which has miles of walking tails. Tow other items you will quickly see are walking boots and dogs. That Saturday I counted at least four. Dogs, that is. There were more boots than what is in Harrods. Dogs are so well behaved in pubs and they give the place a home good feel. There should be a law mandating all pubs have a dog or even a cat. The Spaniards knows how to take care of the dogs. Outside they can get their paws washed at a wash station and inside they can eat a meal of organic dog food. The owners just have to be nice people.

Turning my attention to more important matters I turned my head to scan the beers on display and found another first for me; Worthington White Shield. Having missed my bus stop I had to hoof it up Spaniards Road and was quite parched. This is such a lovely ale and very refreshing. This would make for an excellent nightcap at home before bed for you younger people. Some of us have late night issues requiring early sessions. But that’s another story. White Shield is a classic bottle-conditioned India Pale Ale that really brings tears to my eyes. For one, at some point I am going t have to leave the pub. And I can’t get it in the states.

See this Wikipedia article on the Inn.

No comments:

Post a Comment