Saturday, February 20, 2010

Try New Things

The Times of London reported that the proliferation of English bars and eateries in Spanish coastal resorts is causing the British to stay away. Well, duh! Why would anyone spend good money to travel to some other country only to eat in the same type of pub that is walking distance from home? Well, me for one. But I had good reason. I popped into the Whole Foods in Kensington once. I did it to find it so I could tell others and they were serving Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. I had a pint because I had to. But that doesn’t mean you must do the same. The joy of travel is to see and do things you can’t do at home. I love talking to the people I meet as they are as curious about America as I am of England. But I do see why the Brits are staying away. Years ago I noticed that the souvenirs I was looking at were the same Chinese crap that I saw in New York, albeit another name painted on. You should have seen the shock on my face when I first found out that London Fog was made in Baltimore. When I come to England (and Scotland, Wales and Ireland) I want goods made in that country buy the people in that country.

Readers of the Times story reminded other to travel further inland to enjoy the real essence of the country. One can stay in London and all you need to do is get out and explore the nooks and crannies of the city to find interesting places to eat. I always stay in Bloomsbury near Russell Square and it is a world apart from Oxford Street, which is not very far away. Walking up and off of Marchmont Street brings a nice selection of restaurants and pubs. China House is one of my favorite places. Ok, so it’s not English. The North Sea Restaurant may be what you desire as well as the Norfolk Arms or the Lamb sorry, you will have to Google this one). Prices tend to get a little less the further you move away the tourist centers. Use your travel card and head out to the outer zones for more treats, You can make excursions away from central London into day trips and find places like the Spaniards Inn. All for the cost of a bus ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment