Monday, February 22, 2010

Underground Conspiracy

I am not a conspiracy theorist but if I were I would think Transport for London was engaged in a cover-up. After all they are an underground movement. Ever year in January they would increase the fares and I would set my calendar by them. They would then publish a PDF copy of the rates and how they applied to the different modes of travel. I would know exactly what a one day or seven day travel card would cost. If you wanted a bus-only pass that cost was clearly shown. They no longer publish their PDF copy (here is the 2009 copy). Nor do they publish anything showing the cost of travel that is easy to find on their website. Why is that? Why can’t I go to TfL and see what they offer and for what price? One can use the Journey Planner to find the cost of a fare but I have yet to see the cost of passes. There is information on the web from the Mayor of London and that too was an odd read.

They also made a change to their bus route maps. I had a link to the main page, which has been changed in 2010. It took me a small effort to find the new page. They did this as they saw it as an improvement to better serve their customers. If you are a London resident it has but if you are a visitor like me it can be confusing.

Maybe it’s me? It usually is, but I think an organization offering a product for sale should be clear as to what the costs are. Perhaps TfL needs to consult the Plain English Campaign?

3 comments:

  1. Adult day travelcard prices are at http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/faresandtickets/oneand3daytickets/2911.aspx

    7 Day and over at http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/faresandtickets/seasontickets/4805.aspx

    I find the print bus maps are the best, to get a clear view of where routes are running, what areas and streets they serve .....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and I just came across the pdf bus maps via http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gettingaround/maps/buses/busdiagrams.asp - by borough, and also the wider area (central, NE, NW, SE and SW) maps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Mayor of London is not best with words at inappropriate times. Youtube has some clips of Boris Johnson worth a look so it doesn't surprise me that you had an odd read. I was there the saturday before last and he closed the circle line for repairs causing some tube lines to be quiet and others along with the tourists upstairs at the hotspots to be packed. I've put some photos on my light travel blog that might interest you.

    ReplyDelete